Saturday, January 21, 2017

2016 End of the Year Survey

I am literally so late for this but whatever. I wasn't even going to do this initially but I decided last minute that "Hey, why the heck not." The questionnaire is taken, as always, from Perpetual Page Turner.


2016 READING STATS

Number Of Books You Read: 81
Number of Re-Reads: 6 (I think)
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy/Sci-Fi

BEST IN BOOKS

1. Best Book You Read In 2016?
CROOKED KINGDOM by Leigh Bardugo.

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
PASSENGER by Alexandra Bracken, among others.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?  
A COURT OF MIST AND FURY by Sarah J. Maas. I am still in shock over how many people actually like or even love this, lmao. I just hated it so much. So, definitely surprising in a bad way (because I was also, obviously, surprised at how bad it ended up being).

4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
This was yet another year of me shamelessly promoting THE RAVEN CYCLE by Maggie Stiefvater among my friends, and another 2 people ended up reading (and loving) it!

5. Best series you started in 2016? Best Sequel of 2016? Best Series Ender of 2016?
AND I DARKEN by Kiersten White and THIS SAVAGE SONG by Victoria Schwab for best new series I started. Best sequels would be MAP OF FATES by MAGGIE HALL and GLASS SWORD by Victoria Aveyard. Series enders: Definitely THE RAVEN KING by Maggie Stiefvater (how could I not), but also BAD BLOOD by Jennifer Lynn Barnes.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2016?
JENN MARIE THORNE! I loved both of the contemporaries I read by her this year, THE WRONG SIDE OF RIGHT and THE INSIDE OF OUT.

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
For this one, I am actually - for once! - not going to go with a contemporary, which is my usual go-to answer. But instead, it has to be WOLF BY WOLF by Ryan Graudin. I don't usually reach for WW2 fiction, but this one was so enjoyable!

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Not to be repetitive, but definitely BAD BLOOD by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. One punch in the face after the other.

9. Book You Read In 2016 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Probably GLASS SWORD by Victoria Aveyard, which I want to re-read very, very soon in preparation of the sequel, KING'S CAGE. Also, THE CROWN'S GAME by Evelyn Skye.

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2016?
A no-brainer. A MILLION WORLDS WITH YOU by Claudia Gray. Just... look at it.
11. Most memorable character of 2016?
My baby, Kaz Brekker from CROOKED KINGDOM by Leigh Bardugo as well as both Iseult det Midenzi and Aeduan from TRUTHWITCH by Susan Dennard.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2016?
THE CROWN'S GAME by Evelyn Skye, because the atmosphere was so beautifully electric and the setting came alive, as well as BROKEN CROWNS by Lauren DeStefano, where at least the writing was very pretty (as always).

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2016?
Absolutely, with no doubt, THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES by Mindy McGinnis. Such a deep, raw novel. I can only recommend reading it.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2016 to finally read? 
THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING by J. R. R. Tolkien! It finally happened this year. I plan on reading the next two books (yes I know it's supposed to be one huge book but it is the way it is) hopefully this year.

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2016?
“His feelings for Adam were an oil spill; he'd let them overflow and now there wasn't a damn place in the ocean that wouldn't catch fire if he dropped a match.”
from THE RAVEN KING by Maggie Stievater.
Also, from THE FEMALE OF THE SPECIES by Mindy McGinnis:
“But boys will be boys, our favorite phrase that excuses so many things, while the only thing we have for the opposite gender is women, said with disdain and punctuated with an eye roll.” 
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2016?
The shortest, with 100 pages, was QUEEN SONG by Victoria Aveyard, the longest LADY MIDNIGHT by Cassandra Clare with 698 pages.

17. Book That Shocked You The Most
So as not to be repetitive, I am going with RIDERS by Veronica Rossi for this one. She goes through with some pretty hard choices and endings for her characters that are truly shocking with no cheap cop-outs. So much respect for that.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR 
SO MANY. So, so many. Kaz and Inej from CROOKED KINGDOM. Aeduan and Iseult from TRUTHWITCH. Blue and Gansey as well as Adam and Ronan from THE RAVEN KING. Vika and Nikolai from THE CROWN'S GAME. Dean and Cassie from BAD BLOOD. Yael and Luka from WOLF BY WOLF.

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Safi and Iseult from TRUTHWITCH, Kell and Rhy from A GATHERING OF SHADOWS by V. E. Schwab. And, even though I kind of wished they were romantic, Kate and August from THIS SAVAGE SONG, again by Schwab.

20. Favorite Book You Read in 2016 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Apart from a few of the aforementioned ones, BLUESCREEN by Dan Wells was really good. And y'all slept on it. I also want to give a shoutout to THREE DARK CROWNS by Kendare Blake, which wasn't particularly outstanding or exceptional in and of itself, but was such a compelling read with a really interesting and unique premise.

21. Best Book You Read In 2016 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
REBEL OF THE SANDS by Alwyn Hamilton. So glad I picked it up, despite my skepticism. It ended up being extremely awesome.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2016?
Clark from THE UNEXPECTED EVERYTHING by Morgan Matson. What a lovely dork. And of course I'm in love with my queen Iseult det Midenzi from TRUTHWITCH.

23. Best 2016 debut you read?
THESE VICIOUS MASKS by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas.

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
SAINT PETERSBURG from Evelyn Skye's THE CROWN'S GAME. So much love and care were put into making this city come alive for this book, and it is truly its own character in the whole novel. It's one of the reasons why I loved this book so, so much.

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
THE INSIDE OF OUT by Jenn Marie Thorne.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2016?
THE RAVEN KING. Like ... this is a no-brainer.

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
I'm gonna go with BLUESCREEN by Dan Wells for this one, too, 'cause Y'ALL!! SLEPT!! ON!! THIS!! BOOK!!

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
The usual culprits, the ones that I've already mentioned a thousand times by now, but it's cool: THE RAVEN KING, CROOKED KINGDOM, THIS SAVAGE SONG and BAD BLOOD.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2016?
IF YOU FIND ME by Emily Murdoch. It cuts so, so deep.

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
HEARTLESS by Marissa Meyer. I was 100% sure that I was going to love this, but I didn't. It wasn't necessarily bad or anything, but I'm feeling very meh about it. Which makes me mad, because I want to love it.

LOOKING AHEAD

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2017?
I really hope to finally read the MISTBORN series by Brandon Sanderson this year. I've had my eye on it for ages now, but I just never felt like it was the right time or something. I'm really hoping to change that.

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2017 (non-debut)?
Hooo, boy: STRANGE THE DREAMER by Laini Taylor, THE NOVEMBER GIRL by Lydia Kang, LOST CAUSES by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, HERE LIES DANIEL TATE by Cristin Terrill, ROSEMARKED by Livia Blackburne and FOOLISH HEARTS by Emma Mills. And anything that Maggie Stiefvater will put out, although I doubt anything of her newer projects is ready to be released this year, as far as I know, at least.

3. 2017 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
THE HATE U GIVE by Angie Thomas and CARAVAL by Stephanie Garber.

4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2017?
OUR DARK DUET + A CONJURING OF LIGHT by Victoria/V. E. Schwab, NOW I RISE by Kiersten White and THE CROWN'S FATE by Evelyn Skye.

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2017?
Start writing more reviews again, hopefully?

6. A 2017 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone
At this point in time, being almost the end of January, I've already read WINDWITCH by Susan Dennard, the sequel to TRUTHWITCH, and it's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment